Recent comments on posts in the blog:

I know DnD a bit, but I always found it very weird and unrealistic. Something like the DOS of the RPG games. When you could instead have a Unix, like RuneQuest.

So I actually think you should take a look at RuneQuest, not only because it presents an extremely coherent rule-system all over (all rules are as general as possible to fit as many situations as possible; and the rules always apply to everything), but also because it supports several magic systems, some of which are extremely elegant.

The current version usually goes by the shortcut “BRP” (supporting several settings including RuneQuest and Call of Cthulhu, which also used this system since ever) and you can find resources to it on http://basicroleplaying.org/

Comment by seegras Tue 14 Mar 2017 12:10:25 PM UTC

[url “git@github.com:”]
pushInsteadOf = https://github.com/

I learned something new–Thanks!

Comment by tom Sat 18 Feb 2017 05:09:45 PM UTC

I’ve applied three of your four patches—thanks!

I did not apply the patch to change the clone URI. I think the issue is better handled with the following addition to ~/.gitconfig:

[url "git@github.com:"]
    pushInsteadOf = https://github.com/

(I have never pushed to GitHub over HTTP.)

Comment by spwhitton Wed 15 Feb 2017 03:33:45 AM UTC
test
Comment by spwhitton Mon 13 Feb 2017 01:28:51 PM UTC
I’ve been meaning to try out git-series at some point. Thanks for reminding me!
Comment by spwhitton Wed 11 Jan 2017 12:09:51 AM UTC

Now consider packages where we do want a manually curated patch series. It is very hard to represent such a series in git.

I built a tool for that. Currently working on making it more native to git.

Comment by josh Tue 10 Jan 2017 10:51:05 AM UTC

I’ve added a 4th recommended change. The Python interpreter location is currently hardcoded as /usr/bin/python. On my system, the Python interpreter is located at /usr/local/bin/python. Rather than changing the hard-coded location to my Python interpreter, I’ve changed the shebang line to:

#!/usr/bin/env python

This will allow the script to lookiup the path to the Python interpreter automatically via env.

The proposed change may be found here.

Comment by tom Tue 04 Oct 2016 02:47:39 AM UTC

Really nice. I enjoy reading someone from the other side of the globe saying things I would say, and - of course - teaching me some things I did not know. Cool! I am not a gamer, but I do watch some Netflix (inside GNU/Linux, mainly with Chrome since “they” make harder for Firefox, my favorite browser ever, to work perfectly for that purpose). Nevertheless, I am using GNU/Linux at home and at the university, and spread it to my coworkers and students (20 PCs total), cause FLOSS allow us to do the job we have to do. No need to use proprietary software, despite the boycott from m$ in their office-non-compatibilty-friendly files. GNU/Linux, Libreoffce, Firefox and Thnunderbird, GIMP, QGIS… they do the job for us very fine. They rock! ;-)

Comment by gonzalo_vc Mon 03 Oct 2016 12:32:50 PM UTC

Really nice. I enjoy reading someone from the other side of the globe saying things I would say, and - of course - teaching me some things I did not know. Cool! I am not a gamer, but I do watch some Netflix (inside GNU/Linux, mainly with Chrome since “they” make harder for Firefox, my favorite browser ever, to work perfectly for that purpose). Nevertheless, I am using GNU/Linux at home and at the university, and spread it to my coworkers and students (20 PCs total), cause FLOSS allow us to do the job we have to do. No need to use proprietary software, despite the boycott from m$ in their office-non-compatibilty-friendly files. GNU/Linux, Libreoffce, Firefox and Thnunderbird, GIMP, QGIS… they do the job for us very fine. They rocl! ;-)

Comment by gonzalo_vc Mon 03 Oct 2016 12:32:39 PM UTC

I’ve created three proposed changes to clean-github-pr. None affect its current operation, so you may continue to use it normally after applying the changes.

1. I wanted the ability to perform the cleanup of an existing Github repository (i.e. without forking). In fact, since your dotfiles.git exists on your own site, and not on Github, I used this ability to “cleanup” the repository I created to hold the following pull requests. To cleanup an existing Github repository, simply execute clean-github-pr.py name-of-my-repository (note there is no slash character, so the python script knows it belongs to me). To cleanup the temporary repository I created, I executed clean-github-pr.py spwhitton-dotfiles. link to proposed changes

2. I have 2FA authorization enabled, therefore I had to create to personal access token in order to use the API. After creating the token, simply add it as the 2nd line of your “~/.cache/clean-github-pr-creds” file. link to proposed changes

3. I use an ssh key to push to my repositories (rather than a username/password). This proposed change enables the use of the ssh key. Simply use the word ‘ssh’ as the password in your “~/.cache/clean-github-pr-creds” file. For example, my “~/.cache/clean-github-pr-creds” file contains:

tomhoover:ssh