Recent comments on posts in the blog:

[citation needed]. That’s a suspiciously round number. IQ measures ability to do IQ tests, and not much else. And isn’t a glass of wine pretty much the Balmer peak? :P
Comment by jgh Fri Aug 18 21:15:56 2017

The British welfare state is indeed being eroded by the current government, but there is a good chunk of the country that very vocally objects – we’ve just had difficulty getting power since 2010, for a host of reasons. It’s not just some grassroots socialist movement, either. A big chunk of the country really are socialist.

While the changes that have been made to schools are reversible even if the current government cling on next week, this election might be our last chance to save the NHS, because the current government are in the middle of a process that will effectively sell it off. That would be difficult to come back from.

Comment by spwhitton Thu Jun 1 11:07:32 2017

It’s refreshing to see this is so in the UK. Specially as it is talked all around that, since Thatcher, the UK has been slowly dismantling what used to be a firm welfare state — I had the impression that yes, that many institutions still stand, but it’s clearly going the way of the USA. I’m happy to see it’s not. I live in Mexico, a country that had a very long institutions-buildng process, approximately from the end of our revolution (~1920) to 1982. We have then had a series of neoliberal governments, and term after term, the weight of the social goods are clearly diminished; we still have a system much stronger than the USA’s (including a very limited but existing nevertheless public health, a troubled but great educative system including the best universities in the country, water and energy production / distribution, and a very long etcetera), but… It feels it’s all irrevocably going away. But the point you make in a most surprised tone is what I most long to see here: Politicians that live among the people, that are not a breed apart, that are consequent with themselves.

Comment by gwolf Tue May 30 12:01:34 2017

I know DnD a bit, but I always found it very weird and unrealistic. Something like the DOS of the RPG games. When you could instead have a Unix, like RuneQuest.

So I actually think you should take a look at RuneQuest, not only because it presents an extremely coherent rule-system all over (all rules are as general as possible to fit as many situations as possible; and the rules always apply to everything), but also because it supports several magic systems, some of which are extremely elegant.

The current version usually goes by the shortcut “BRP” (supporting several settings including RuneQuest and Call of Cthulhu, which also used this system since ever) and you can find resources to it on http://basicroleplaying.org/

Comment by seegras Tue Mar 14 12:10:25 2017

[url “git@github.com:”]
pushInsteadOf = https://github.com/

I learned something new–Thanks!

Comment by tom Sat Feb 18 17:09:45 2017

I’ve applied three of your four patches—thanks!

I did not apply the patch to change the clone URI. I think the issue is better handled with the following addition to ~/.gitconfig:

[url "git@github.com:"]
    pushInsteadOf = https://github.com/

(I have never pushed to GitHub over HTTP.)

Comment by spwhitton Wed Feb 15 03:33:45 2017
test
Comment by spwhitton Mon Feb 13 13:28:51 2017
I’ve been meaning to try out git-series at some point. Thanks for reminding me!
Comment by spwhitton Wed Jan 11 00:09:51 2017

Now consider packages where we do want a manually curated patch series. It is very hard to represent such a series in git.

I built a tool for that. Currently working on making it more native to git.

Comment by josh Tue Jan 10 10:51:05 2017

I’ve added a 4th recommended change. The Python interpreter location is currently hardcoded as /usr/bin/python. On my system, the Python interpreter is located at /usr/local/bin/python. Rather than changing the hard-coded location to my Python interpreter, I’ve changed the shebang line to:

#!/usr/bin/env python

This will allow the script to lookiup the path to the Python interpreter automatically via env.

The proposed change may be found here.

Comment by tom Tue Oct 4 02:47:39 2016