Recent comments on posts in the blog:

The British welfare state is indeed being eroded by the current government, but there is a good chunk of the country that very vocally objects – we’ve just had difficulty getting power since 2010, for a host of reasons. It’s not just some grassroots socialist movement, either. A big chunk of the country really are socialist.

While the changes that have been made to schools are reversible even if the current government cling on next week, this election might be our last chance to save the NHS, because the current government are in the middle of a process that will effectively sell it off. That would be difficult to come back from.

Comment by spwhitton Thu 01 Jun 2017 11:07:32 UTC

It’s refreshing to see this is so in the UK. Specially as it is talked all around that, since Thatcher, the UK has been slowly dismantling what used to be a firm welfare state — I had the impression that yes, that many institutions still stand, but it’s clearly going the way of the USA. I’m happy to see it’s not. I live in Mexico, a country that had a very long institutions-buildng process, approximately from the end of our revolution (~1920) to 1982. We have then had a series of neoliberal governments, and term after term, the weight of the social goods are clearly diminished; we still have a system much stronger than the USA’s (including a very limited but existing nevertheless public health, a troubled but great educative system including the best universities in the country, water and energy production / distribution, and a very long etcetera), but… It feels it’s all irrevocably going away. But the point you make in a most surprised tone is what I most long to see here: Politicians that live among the people, that are not a breed apart, that are consequent with themselves.

Comment by gwolf Tue 30 May 2017 12:01:34 UTC

I know DnD a bit, but I always found it very weird and unrealistic. Something like the DOS of the RPG games. When you could instead have a Unix, like RuneQuest.

So I actually think you should take a look at RuneQuest, not only because it presents an extremely coherent rule-system all over (all rules are as general as possible to fit as many situations as possible; and the rules always apply to everything), but also because it supports several magic systems, some of which are extremely elegant.

The current version usually goes by the shortcut “BRP” (supporting several settings including RuneQuest and Call of Cthulhu, which also used this system since ever) and you can find resources to it on http://basicroleplaying.org/

Comment by seegras Tue 14 Mar 2017 12:10:25 UTC

[url “git@github.com:”]
pushInsteadOf = https://github.com/

I learned something new–Thanks!

Comment by tom Sat 18 Feb 2017 17:09:45 UTC

I’ve applied three of your four patches—thanks!

I did not apply the patch to change the clone URI. I think the issue is better handled with the following addition to ~/.gitconfig:

[url "git@github.com:"]
    pushInsteadOf = https://github.com/

(I have never pushed to GitHub over HTTP.)

Comment by spwhitton Wed 15 Feb 2017 03:33:45 UTC
test
Comment by spwhitton Mon 13 Feb 2017 13:28:51 UTC
I’ve been meaning to try out git-series at some point. Thanks for reminding me!
Comment by spwhitton Wed 11 Jan 2017 00:09:51 UTC

Now consider packages where we do want a manually curated patch series. It is very hard to represent such a series in git.

I built a tool for that. Currently working on making it more native to git.

Comment by josh Tue 10 Jan 2017 10:51:05 UTC

I’ve added a 4th recommended change. The Python interpreter location is currently hardcoded as /usr/bin/python. On my system, the Python interpreter is located at /usr/local/bin/python. Rather than changing the hard-coded location to my Python interpreter, I’ve changed the shebang line to:

#!/usr/bin/env python

This will allow the script to lookiup the path to the Python interpreter automatically via env.

The proposed change may be found here.

Comment by tom Tue 04 Oct 2016 02:47:39 UTC

Really nice. I enjoy reading someone from the other side of the globe saying things I would say, and - of course - teaching me some things I did not know. Cool! I am not a gamer, but I do watch some Netflix (inside GNU/Linux, mainly with Chrome since “they” make harder for Firefox, my favorite browser ever, to work perfectly for that purpose). Nevertheless, I am using GNU/Linux at home and at the university, and spread it to my coworkers and students (20 PCs total), cause FLOSS allow us to do the job we have to do. No need to use proprietary software, despite the boycott from m$ in their office-non-compatibilty-friendly files. GNU/Linux, Libreoffce, Firefox and Thnunderbird, GIMP, QGIS… they do the job for us very fine. They rock! ;-)

Comment by gonzalo_vc Mon 03 Oct 2016 12:32:50 UTC